Season 01-02 Reports

Sept '01

09/09/01 - Away v Cavaliers Res; 23/09/01 - Away v Reading Irish Res

Sept 9th 2001 v Cavaliers Res 1-2 League DC were unlucky to not take a point from today's game despite having the most chances on goal. Danny Feasey, Andy Boness and Lazlo Petnehazy were all making making their league debuts for the Steamers and all played their part in the opening game of the season. The Steamers took a while to get into the game although created an early chance with Nick heading inches wide. It was the home side who took the lead though midway through the first half as a long ball was pumped down field. Rory raced from goal, was dispossessed 25 yards out and allowed the opponent to chip into an empty net. DC continued to attack the Cavaliers goal and Andy Boness forced the keeper into making a good save before Nick had another effort turned away for a corner. The Steamers did have the ball in the net at one point. It was disallowed though as it bounced off Chris Taylor's arm as he went to ground in the area. The second half saw both sides to continue to attack each others goals and it was early on when DC clawed their way back into the match. Danny raced down the wing and found Jensen in space. The resulting cross was headed goalwards by Nick Smith. A deflection helped the ball fall in Sebs path and he was able to knock the ball into the net from a couple of yards. Lazlo, feeling a twinge in his hamstring, was then replaced by Duncan Glen. As the time ticked down, Cavaliers scored the winner. A cross field ball was underhit and Chris raced in to intercept it. He was fouled in the centre circle but nothing was awarded. The ball then got played to the left winger from which a pinpoint acurate cross was then put onto the head of the advancing striker who made no mistake. Mickey Sheehan (70) and Paul Smithson (85) made their entrance for Seb and Jensen respectively but were unable to help the team find the equaliser. DC were then reduced ten men after Andy Boness had to leave to the pitch with a bad head injury. He collided with an opponent when jumping for the ball. The starting line-up was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Chris Taylor, Wayne Makepeace, Mark Jarman, Paul Allen, Danny Feasey, Andy Boness, Lazlo Petnehazy, Seb Rivers, Nick Smith, Jensen Langford. Scorers: Seb Subs: Duncan for Lazlo, Mickey for Seb, Paul Smithson for Jensen

Sept 23rd 2001 v Reading Irish Res 2-1 League DC won their first league match since January 28th 2001 today with two well taken goals involving Danny Feasey. They did not get off to a good start though as they failed to clear the goalmouth from a corner in the first 10 minutes This allowed an opponent to hammer the ball through a crowd of players from 4 yards out. It was after that early set back that DC started to take command of the game and created chances of their own through Mark and Jensen. It was Danny who pulled the Steamers back into the game though. After some good work down the right involving Nick and Chris, the latter squared the ball to Jensen. His inside pass found Danny in space, who committed the keeper early before calmly putting the ball into the corner. Danny then turned provider as the half drew to a close. He received the ball in the center-circle and ran at the defence, He eventually slotted the ball into the space behind the last man allowing Jensen to roll the ball between the advancing keepers legs into the net. The second half saw the Steamers carry on from where they left off and could have extended their lead many times, only for poor or lack of finishing. DC then had a penalty appeal turned down by the referee after Chris Taylor had been felled just inside the area. The same player was later booked for supposedly 'diving' after trying to evade a late and clumsy challenge. Jensen and Chris soon made way for Seb and Mickey as injuries started to creep in, Jensen (Back), Chris (Knee). Reading Irish rallied well towards the end but DC held their own and managed to hold out for a precious win. The starting line-up was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Andy Holt, Paul Allen, Chris Taylor, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Steve Danby, Danny Feasey, Jensen Langford. Scorers: Danny, Jensen Subs: Jensen for Seb, Chris for Mickey

Oct '01

07/10/01 - Home v Salisbury Club; 14/10/01 - Away v Tilehurst United; 21/10/01 - Away v TV Tornadoes; 28/10/01 - Away v Shepherds House

Oct 7th 2001 v Salisbury Club 3-2 League Another win for the Steamers but it was far from a stroll in the park. The Steamers only had eleven players available, but were still able to field a strong well-balanced side. The steamers got off to the worst possible start though conceding an early goal within 3 minutes when a free kick was poorly defended and the ball dropped to a Sailsbury player to blast into the net. The Steamers settled after that and there was some good possession and progressive build up play through the centre and on the right where Nick Smith had been deployed. The first real chance for the steamers came when a clever lofted ball from Nick was played to the right hand side of the Sailsbury box; Jensen latched onto the ball and struck a fierce volley only to see it brush the upright. From this point on the Steamers moved into a commanding position and Sailsbury where struggling to contain the Steamers. The equaliser came on 10 minutes, with further good work on the right with a ball cut back to JJ, eventually falling to Danny who coolly despatched a powerful shot leaving the goalie helpless. The Steamers built on this confidence and took the lead on about 20 minutes with another ball in from the right to the feet of Jensen who was unmarked; Jensen was able to turn and placed the ball low and into the corner. The Steamers pressure was relentless and rewarded with another virtuoso goal from Danny taking on 2 defenders and placing the ball just inside the near post at what seemed like slow motion at the time. The Steamers took a 3-1 lead into half time. The second half did not go the way of the first, Sailsbury Club threw caution to the wind and pushed players forward; the Steamers were on the back foot for most of the second half but the defence and midfield were excellent limiting SC to very few real chances, in response DCS had a number fleeting counter attacking moves. The SC eventually, pulled a goal back on 60 minutes with a break down the right being converted into a goal. SC kept pouring forward and the pressure seemed to have paid off when the Ref' gave a disputed penalty, after Duncan made contact with an opponent whilst making a tackle. Justice was served when the weak penalty was saved by Rory. The Steamers squandered further chances to put the game beyond the SC, notably with Jensen missing a one on one, and then unable to get a shot on target with only the goalie to beat. However, the defence and midfield were resilient to the end to secure 3 more valuable points. The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Duncan Glenn, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Andy Boness, Mark Jarman, Micky Sheehan, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Danny (2), Jensen Subs: None

Oct 14th 2001 v Tilehurst Utd 3-2 Ted Cambridge Cup Rnd 2 DCS progressed to the next round of the Ted Cambridge Cup with another solid performance against a battling Tilehurst Utd side. Danny got DCS off to a great start after 10 minutes with a trademark mark finish after a neatly threaded ball from midfield. Tilehurst responded soon after despite some valiant defending, with the ball eventually falling to a Tilehurst player who blasted in from short range. Although Tilehurst looked dangerous on the break DCS took control of the game with some good possession in midfield culminating in a number of goal attempts with one goal being disallowed for off-side. Danny restored DCS's lead just before half time with a marvelous piece of individual skill turning the Tilehurst defence inside out before coolly slotting the ball home from a tight angle. The second half continued in the same vein as the first with DCS having good possession, but it was Tilehurst who leveled again when a penalty was conceded when Steve D. made contact with a player in the box. DCS kept their cool and continued to press, finally being reward for much excellent wing play when a good run and cross from Paul Allen was poorly dealt with by Tilehurst and Jensen was on hand to fire home from close range much to his delight. Mickey came on at the restart to help marshal the remaining 20 minutes. Tilehurst to their credit kept battling but the DCS defence continued their excellent form and the result was finally sealed when Danny was adjudged to have been fouled and Nick Smith took the penalty which required a follow up having had the initial attempt saved by the 'keeper. Danny was unable to complete the match with a gash above the knee. Post match managers comment: Danny once again named as managers man of the match, but good performances all around, the defence were solid, reliable quality from Nick in the middle, and an excellent match from Laszlo.The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Seb Rivers, Nick Smith, Laszlo Petnehazy, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Danny (2), Jensen, Nick Subs: Mickey Sheehan for Paul Allen

Oct 21st 2001 v TV Tornadoes 2-2 League DC visited their old haunting grounds today to play a Thames Valley Tornaodes side that had played 5 and won 5 so far this season. With Seb and Wayne unavailable, Chris came back into the side after missing a couple of games and Mickey moved into the centre of midfield. DC started brightly and created a few good chances in the first half including an effort from Jensen. A cross field ball found Chris on the right hand side, he turned his man, got to the byeline and put the ball into the area for Jensen to hit a volley straight at the keeper. With the scores deadlocked at 0-0 at half time, both teams continued to create chances. Andy Boness replaced Paul Allen and Mickey moved out to the left of midfield although this change could not prevent the home team from opening the scoring with a well taken 25 yard effort that flew over Rorys head. This, in the past would have been enough for the DC heads to drop but the determination was clear. DC soon found themselves back on level terms when Mickey Sheehan steered the ball into the net from an acute angle. Chris took a quick throw to Jensen who managed to flick the ball onto Howard who had made a good overlapping run. Unmarked, Howard crossed the ball low and hard into the danger area only for it to find its way to the back post where Mickey was racing in to slot home. Having most of the possession, DC continued to pile the pressure on and soon found themselves in front with a very well taken goal from Jensen. DC defended a corner well and Mickey found Jensen on the counter-attack. He got to the edge of the box, turned his marker and hit a low shot past the stranded keeper. TVT battled on and were eventually awarded a (dubious) penalty when Andy Boness was judged to have made contact with the TVT player. The penalty was converted and both sides came away from the game with the points shared. The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Howard Cooke, Mark Jarman, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Chris Taylor, Nick Smith, Laszlo Petnehazy, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford Scorers: Mickey, Jensen Subs: Andy Boness for Paul Allen

Oct 28th 2001 v Shepherds House 2-2 League Andy Boness was on top form this morning when he claimed his first ever hatrick within the first 35 minutes of the match. DC started the brighter against the team at the foot of the table and soon took the lead when Andy Boness slotted the ball into the corner of the net after it had bounced around a group of players. His second came ten minutes later and from a similar situation. The opponents did not clear their lines and Andy was on hand to put the ball into the net. The Steamers continued to dominate the game and had further chances to increase their lead as Mickey, Laszlo and Paul all had chances. Unfortunately, they shot wide, over and in Mickeys case, hit the roof of the sports hall behind the goal. Andy Boness soon rounded off his first half hatrick when he was in the right spot at the right time to prod home a loose ball. Jensen then added his name the scorecard when he was left unmarked in the centre of the penalty area. With some good build up play and a great bit of work from Paul Allen down the left, Paul found Nick in space, Nick drew the keeper before side footing the ball to an onrushing Jensen to make it 4-0 at half time. With no changes at half time, DC maintained their pressure and made it 5-0 soon after the break when Jensen added another goal to his tally collecting a delightful through ball from Laszlo. The keeper came out but Jensen cooly lobbed the ball over him and into the back of the net. By this point Shepherds House seemed to have thrown in the towel and had resorted to kicking DC instead. It wasn't a suprise then when Paul Allen went on one of his mazey runs, beat a couple of players and was then taken out by a late challenge in the box. Up stepped Nick to put the resulting penalty past the keeper. Chris Taylor then replaced Howard at right back. Shepherd House had a couple of efforts close to the end of the game but Rory was on hand to keep a clean sheet. The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Howard Cooke, Mark Jarman, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Andy Boness, Nick Smith, Laszlo Petnehazy, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford Scorers: Andy (3), Jensen (2), Nick Subs: Chris Taylor for Howard Cooke

Nov '01

04/11/01 - Away v Salisbury Club; 11/11/01 - Home v TV Tornadoes; 18/11/01 - Home v Emmbrook; 25/11/01 - Away v Loddon Vale

Nov 4th 2001 v Salisbury Club 1-5 League The Steamers welcomed Darren Holder to the starting lineup in goal this morning although DC were brought back down to earth with a bump this morning on the wrong end of a 5-1 scoreline. Both teams started brightly although Salisbury Club seemed to be up for the game more and took the lead early on with a well taken 25 yard strike. They increased their lead when soon after when the striker managed to squeeze his shot between keeper and the near post. Between conceding the goals, DC lost Howard Cooke with a muscle pull. Chris Taylor moved to right back with Nick slotting in on the right of midfield and Mickey Sheehan, replacing Howard, moving into the centre of midfield. This change could not prevent Salisbury taking a 3-0 lead on 35 minutes direct from a corner. The second half was a different story. DC came out and had most of the possession. Chances were being created and eventually Paul Allen brought DC back into the game with a well taken acute angled shot that went in off the near post. Salisbury Club then regained their 3 goal cushion when Paul Allen was adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the penalty area. The resulting penalty was converted. Steve Danby and Paul Allen both received bookings prior to the restart for dissent (although most thought that was harsh considering what was actually said). Salisbury then wrapped the game up when a defensive lapse allowed the opponents through to score. Jensen made way for Rory for the final ten minutes although DC could not find the net despite creating further chances. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Mark Jarman, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Andy Boness, Chris Taylor, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Paul A Subs: Mickey for Howard, Rory for Jensen

Nov 11th 2001 v TV Tornadoes 1-2 aet Ted Cambridge Cup DC were dumped out of the Ted Cambridge Cup this morning after an impressive display. Both teams settled down early on although it was the visitors who made the early chances on goal making Darren Holder pull off a couple of decent saves. As DC started to create chasing for themselves, Chris Taylor received a dead leg 35 minutes into the game. Unable to make any substitutions, he was forced to play on. Effectively down to ten men, due to injury, the Steamers continued to make chances with Jensen confusing the keeper with a cross / shot and Paul Allen hitting the crossbar from an acute angle. Both teams went in at half time feeling this game was there for the taking. It was Thames Valley though who eventually opened the scoring. A corner was swung in from the left for the unmarked striker to jump and hit a powerful header into the roof of the net. The Steamers continued making chances and were eventually rewarded when Paul Allen grabbed his second in as many games. Paul received the ball in the centre of the field and went on one of his trademark mazy dribbles before laying the ball off to Nick. His return ball found Paul in space in the area and was able to hit it low past the static keeper. TV were then reduced to ten men after the referee sent their left midfielder from the pitch for a second bookable offence. With not a great deal to write about happening in the final 20 minutes, the score after 90 minutes was 1-1. Steamers now entered extra-time with more or less 9.5 men as Jensen received a couple of knocks late on in the previous half. It was the second period though when the Tornadoes scored the winner. Darren made a fine initial save although unable to hold it. The striker beat Duncan to the reobund and tucked the ball into the open net. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Chris Taylor, Mark Jarman, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Jensen Langford, Nick Smith, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Rory O'Neill, Danny Feasey Scorers: Paul A Subs: None

Nov 18th 2001 v Emmbrook 1-1 League I have written this based on what I have been told - It could be all lies. DC earned their annual draw with Emmbrook with Duncan scoring their goal from a corner in the first half. Emmbrook scored in the second half from the penalty spot. Paul Allen was sent off although I have not found out what for. An opponent took offence at a challenge of his and grabbed him around the throat and went to throw a punch. He didn't, Paul was sent off and the opponent walked away without caution. Yes !! Confused me too. Howard started at right back but lasted 2 minutes due to a reccurrance of a recent injury, Rory replaced him and was pushed up front alongside Danny. Paul Smithson made his second appearance of the season within the 15 mins. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Andy Holt, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Stuart Brown, Mickey Sheehan, Andy Boness, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Nick Smith, Danny Feasey Scorers: Duncan Subs: Rory for Howard, Paul S for Mickey

Nov 25th 2001 v Loddon Vale 3-5 League DC's recent stumbled continued today when they were beaten 5-3 by Loddon Vale who currently occupy the second from bottom position in the league. The Steamers started the brighter of the two teams and opened the scoring after 15 minutes. Nick Smith put a well placed cross into the path of an onrushing Paul Allen who placed the ball past the keeper with a superb volley. DC were caught out 5 minutes later though when Loddon scored an equaliser from a corner. DC retained their lead with 15 minutes of the half remaining when Mickey scored a 'Goal of the Season' contender after a great bit of team play down the right resulting in Danny putting a cross into the back post. Mickey, pulled the ball down and guided it sweetly past the keeper. The Steamers though could not hold the lead for long though as the defence were caught napping when a long high ball was lofted over the defence leaving Duncan to mercy of three opponents. A cross from the right was converted by the Loddon striker. Minute later, Andy Boness challenged for a high ball and landed awkwardly, twisting his knee. Paul Smithson replaced him with 10 minutes of the first half to go. The home side then took the lead on the stroke of half time. As if the whistle had been blown, DC seemed to stop and let the Loddon player race through, and place a curling shot past Rory. The second half continued where the first left off, Loddon increased their lead to 4-2 before an injured Jensen replaced Paul Smithson and went in goal putting Rory up front with Danny. Jensen though caught not prevent Loddon from scoring a fifth goal in the 75th minute. A goalmouth scramble saw the ball eventually sitting in the back of the Steamers net. Duncan was then replaced by an injured Wayne after Duncan pulled his hamstring. Steamers did start playing well again late on in the game and were rewarded when Danny scored his 6th goal of the campaign in the dying minutes when he collected the ball and ran at the defence before placing the ball into the far corner of the net. The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Andy Holt, Neil Wilson, Duncan Glen, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Mickey Sheehan, Andy Boness, Paul Allen, Seb Rivers, Danny Feasey Scorers: Paul A, Mickey, Danny Subs: Paul S for Andy B, Jensen for Paul S, Wayne for Duncan

Dec '01

02/12/01 - Home v FS Reading; 09/12/01 - Away v Earley Home Guard

Dec 2nd 2001 v FS Reading 4-1 League DC bounced back to form by beating the Fire Service with a great first half passing performance. DC had the majority of the play and took a comfortable lead into halftime. Nick Smith opened the scoring with a diving header midway through the first half after Jensen had missed two great opportunities earlier. Danny made it 2-0 on 33 minutes when he ran onto a through ball from Nick, held off two defenders and squeezed the ball past the keeper. With half time looming, Jensen scored a similar goal to Dannys when he also ran onto a through ball and held off the challenges of two defenders before slotting the ball into the net. Fire Service made a tactical change at halftime and put a bit more pressure on DC in the second half. Mark Jarman who wasn't fully fit at the start of the game was on the receiving end of a hefty challenge early on and was eventually replaced by Paul Smithson (after he'd gone home to get his kit). FS then clawed their way back into the game when Chris Taylor played them onside. Despite his last ditch attempt to block the shot, they pulled the score back to 3-1. Jensen eventually put the game beyond any doubt when he raced onto his own through ball, rounded the keeper and scored with a thunderous drive from 2 yards. There was uproar amongst the Fire Service though as the linesman was overruled for flagging for offside. Although there may have been a couple of players in an offside position, they made no effort to go for it, Jensen kept running and finished well. The starting lineup was as follows: Rory O'Neill, Chris Taylor, Andy Holt, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Nick, Danny, Jensen (2) Subs: Paul S for Mark

Dec 9th 2001 v Earley HG 2-3 League The Steamers produced a late spirited fightback scoring two goals to come from 3-0 down only to lose 3-2. DC did not start the game well and found themselves on the back foot for the first 20 mins. The home team pressurised well and eventually took the lead with some good work down the left hand side. Darren managed to get part of his anatomy on the ball although it rebounded into the net despite a last ditch clearance attempt from Steve Danby. DC's only real chance of the first half came from Rory whose header forced the keeper into pulling off a stunning save. Earley increased their lead on 55 mins when an uncharacteristic error from Wayne enabled the Home Guard Striker to pick the ball up 25 yards out and beat Darren from close range. Just before the restart, Paul Smithson replaced Rory as the latter received an injury to his neck. Two nil then became three nil as the Steamers conceded a third goal which, from some views, was clearly offside. But with time ticking down, DC suddenly seemed to find an extra gear and took the game to Earley. With the increased pressure, the Steamers pulled a goal back. Danny received the ball outside the area, beat the left back, raced into the area, beat the keeper and hit a low shot into the net from a such an acute angle that few thought it actually went in. Minutes later, Jensen then found himself in space only to see his effort go over the bar. Earley were clearly rattled as DC went in search of a second goal. That eventually came when a Chris played a deep long ball over the back four into the path of Paul Smithson. Paul controlled the ball well and despite offside protests ran towards goal. As the keeper closed him down, Paul unselfishly squared the ball into the path of Nick leaving him to pass the ball into the empty net. With minutes left Andy Holt came close to scoring his first goal in donkeys years when he found himself unmarked at the back post following a corner. is shot was blocked on the line before being cleared for another corner. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Chris Taylor, Andy Holt, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Jensen Langford, Nick Smith, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Rory O'Neill, Danny Feasey Scorers: Danny, Nick Subs: Paul S for Rory

Jan '02

Jan 6th 2002 v Cavaliers Res 5-3 League DC opened their 2002 account with a brilliant comeback and convincing win against Cavaliers Res, who occupy second place in the table. It was a tough start for the home side as they went 2-0 down within 5 minutes. The second coming from an own goal as Chris and Steve played ping pong on the goal line. DC knuckled down though and pulled a goal back within minutes when Danny beat the offside trap and only had the keeper to beat. His initial shot was saved by the onrushing keeper although Nick was on hand to knock in the rebound from 20 yards out. Before Cavaliers could realise what had hit them, Danny equalised, again beating the offside trap before placing it past the keeper. Fifteen minutes into the game and the score sat at 2-2. Mickey Sheehan then added another goal to the Steamers tally after some terrific team play. Nick chased a long ball down the line, beat two defenders before knocking it into the box. The ball eventually landed at Mickeys feet and he sent a delightful curling shot into the far corner of the net. 3-2 then became 4-2 just before halftime when Nick unselfishly squared the ball the an unmarked Jensen, who thumped the ball past a helpless keeper. With Cavaliers now chasing the game to get something out of it, DC had a lot of space in certain areas of the pitch. Nick, Danny and Jensen all found themselves with goalscoring chances but could not add to the scoreline until midway through the second half. After beating the offside trap yet again, Danny hit a long ball across the opposition penalty area to Nick who was unmarked and waiting at the back post. His resulting shot put the Steamers 5-2 up. Cavaliers then put DC under a lot of pressure late on the game and were rewarded when they scored from a corner. Although not mentioned throughout the report, a mention for Darren is necessary as he produced some fine saves to deny the opposition. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Chris Taylor, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Mickey Sheehan, Paul Allen, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Nick (2), Danny, Mickey, Jensen Subs: None

Feb '02

Feb 10th 2002 v Reading Irish Res 5-5 League A ten-goal thriller at Wargrave in a game that had everything. DCS resumed their season after a lengthy spell without a game with two new faces in the line-up those being Andy Seery and Danny Bennett. Even with these two additions to the squad DCS only had a scratch 11 side available, with Mickey Sheehan included but carrying an injury. DCS took the early initiative with a corner inside 5 minutes taken by Steve Danby which looped over everyone and swung into the net at the far post (1-0). DCS took control of the game quickly finding their feet, and playing the ball around in some very promising passing moves. Excellent support play from the midfield and defence enabled DCS to really take the game to RIR, and this pressure came to bear with Danny Feasey taking his first of a brace with the outside of his left boot (2-0). DCS nearly went ahead when Nick Smith made a wonderful turn and run on the edge of the area only to see his resulting shot smash against the post. RIR replied soon after with a cool finish after the defence was split after some good midfield work (2-1). And then the moment which had a major bearing on the game, a ball broke on the edge of the area and Duncan Glen closed it down quickly with a shot fired at him from a yard, the instinctive self preservation hands came up and Referee pointed to the spot. DCS where unhappy with the decision and Nick Smith was ordered off are comments the Ref felt were directed at him. The penalty was converted to level the score line (2-2). And that remained the score line going into half time. The second half commenced with RIR wanting to press home their numerical advantage and they did so with a fortunate break in play when Duncan made one of many excellent challenges, with the ball bobbling out for the attacker who's cross scuffed into the net (3-2). The Steamers needed inspiration and it came from their Captain Steve Danby who made several electric runs down the left hand side with crosses just failing to be converted. However persistence paid off when a telling through ball from Andy Seery, cut the defence wide open leaving Danby clear to run through on goal and blast his shot into the back of the net. (3-3). Mickey gave us the lead with a headed goal (4-3), and we gave ourselves some breathing space after a mazy run from Jensen and a cool finish from Danny Feasey with his second (5-3). RIR pulled one back immediately to make it (5-4). The final goal came when Andy Seery put the ball into his own net from close range.(5-5) All in all a good point, however DCS will feel they could have won the game with 11 men. Some outstanding performances today from all the team, but Darren in goal continued his excellent form, but Man of the Match Steve Danby for a display that epitomises the heart of the Dave Crown Steamers. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Daniel Bennett, Mark Jarman, Wayne Makepeace, Duncan Glen, Nick Smith, Andy Seery, Mickey Sheehan, Steve Danby, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Danny (2), Steve D (2), Mickey Subs: None

Feb 17th 2002 v Loddon Vale 2-1 League Two stunningly crap goals ensured DC came away from todays game with maximum points. There were two changes to the side that drew with Reading Irish last week. Howard and Chris came back into the team in the place of Jensen and JJ who were absent. Both teams started well although it was the visitors who took the lead after 15 minutes when a through ball was missed by the Steamers defence and picked up by the Vale winger. Darren came off his line to narrow the angle although could not prevent the ball being steered into the corner of the net. DC battled on although their best first half effort was a shot from Chris that hit the crossbar and went over. Steamers made a tactical change at half time switching Chris to right midfield and moving Daniel Bennett up along side Danny up front. This switch seemed to work as DC took the game to Loddon. Their pressure paid off in the 63rd minute when a ball into the feet of Danny Feasey. Danny made a mazy run past a couple of players before sending a shot goalwards. The ball ricoched into the air as Duncan arrived in the penalty area. Duncan failed to connect with his initial swipe and as he landed on his bum, swiped at the ball with his other foot and sent the ball past the despairing dive of the Loddon keeper. Back at the other end of the pitch, the defence was being kept busy as Loddon gained several free kicks around the 18 yard box. Midway through the second half, Mickey replaced Paul on the left of midfield and immediately made an impact as he had a hand in the winning goal. A goalmouth scramble eventually finished off with a scuffed shot from Daniel Bennett. Again there some outstanding performances today from all the team, but Wayne Makepeace deserves a special mention as he made several important last ditch challenges. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Duncan Glen, Paul Allen, Daniel Bennett, Nick Smith, Andy Seery, Steve Danby, Chris Taylor, Danny Feasey Scorers: Duncan, Daniel B Subs: Mickey for Paul

Mar '02

Mar 10th 2002 v Embrook Sports 2-0 League A determined Steamers edged out Embrook by two goals to nil this morning despite the home team missing a penalty. The first half was a dull affair with limited chances for either side although DC were the more dominant side grinding out the better chances in front of goal. Despite the half time score of 0-0, DC came out in the second half looking the more likely to score and it didn't take long before a goal bound effort was deflected causing the Embrook keeper to pull off a stunning save. Steamers took the lead soon after. Jensen received the ball from Howard, turned and put the ball into the danger area. Andy Seery, under pressure, managed to beat the defender to the ball and guide the ball past the keeper. Embrook, in search of an equaliser, put DC under pressure, creating chances and forcing the Steamers into making mistakes. It was a mistake that gave Embrook the opportunity to pull back level. A long through ball evaded the Steamers defence and left Howard to defend against the two onrushing strikers. After another superb save from Darren, Howard handballed the ball away and luckily escaped punishment. The referee consulted the linesman who confirmed the penalty claim. The resulting penalty was taken and booted high over the bar. (It probably didn't help that Chris and Dunc told the fella that his laces were undone as he ran up to take it) As time ticked down, Chris made way for Daniel Bennett on the right hand side of midfield. DC did not look comfortable holding a slender 1-0 lead and went in search of the second. That came within the last five minutes when Jensen played a through ball into the feet of Danny Feasey. Danny beat the remaining defenders and thundered the ball past the Embrook keeper for his 13th goal of the season. This was a well deserved and well fought victory. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Andy Seery, Chjris Taylor, Andy Holt, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Andy S, Danny Subs: Daniel B for Chris

Mar 17th 2002 v TV Tornadoes 1-4 League Newly promoted Thames Valley Tornadoes were the visitors to Wargrave Rec this morning and they inflicted DC's first home league defeat of the season. The pitch had received a hefty amount of rain overnight which made it heavy going underfoot. Jensen also had the rare opportunity of selecting from a group of 15 players although he stuck by the starting eleven that beat Emmbrook last week. DC quickly took the game to the visitors and nearly opened the scoring within two minutes when Jensen knocked a ball into Chris. His resulting shot narrowly missed the target. It was the visitors though who took the lead. A through ball was played through the DC defence who left it expecting an offside flag. It was the runner from midfield though who skipped through and despite a challenge from the onrushing Darren, he rolled the ball into the empty net. A few minutes later TV nearly doubled their lead only for Darren to thwart them by pulling off two fantastic saves one after the other. Meanwhile, at the other end of the pitch Andy Holt and Dan Feasey had a couple of chances saved as DC went in search of an equaliser. This constant pressure from DC gave TV the opportunity to counter attack and they took full advantage of that when a Steamers attack broke down. The left back received the ball 20 yards out and delicately chipped Darren who had come a little way off his line to make the score 2-0. Prior to the halft-time whistle, Andy Seery received a knock and was replaced by Mark Jarman. DC started the second half brightly and made a couple of half chances for Jensen and Danny. It was Jensen though who pulled DC back to within a goal of TV. Good work down the left resulted in a deep cross to the back post where an unmarked Jensen passed the ball into the net with a volley. From the kickoff, TV pressed forward in search of a third goal and it finally came when another defensive lapse allowed the TV player to round Darren and slot home. Legs on both sides were beginning to tire and gaps started to apppear. Steve Danby's cross-shot hit the crossbar whilst Howard's ferocious 25 yard drive whizzed past the post. At the other end, Darren and the Steamers defense were kept busy with TV pushing more players forward. The final goal eventually came with 10 minutes to go. A long ball was played down the Steamers right. Everyone stopped except the TV Left back. He raced through and despite starting to chase back, Chris couldn't catch him and could only watch as the shot rolled under Darrens body into the net. A knackered Chris and Jensen made way for fresher legs with Paul Allen and Mickey Sheehan coming on although they could not help DC pull the deficit back. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Andy Seery, Chjris Taylor, Andy Holt, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Jensen Subs: JJ for Andy S, Paul A for Jensen, Mickey for Chris

Apr '02

Apr 07th 2002 v Shepherds House 4-2 League The last thing that was expected this morning was that DC would find themselves losing 2-1 with 15 minutes to go against a side who had won only once all season and were fielding a team of 10 players. Without a full strength side able to be started, Stuart Brown was drafted in and Paul Smithson received a telephone call 20 minutes from kick off. With DC looking for a comprehensive win, DC pushed forward and created many chances although could not not make them count. It wasn't until the half hour mark though when the first goal arrived. Paul Allen sent a perfectly flighted corner kick into the six yard box for Jensen to head into the corner of the net. Shepherds House did not buckle though and grabbed a surprising and fortunate goal minutes later. A loose ball was lofted goal bound, Darren clambered to grasp at it and pushed it onto the bar, it bounced down and the opposition striker was on hand to knock it in. DC seemed to fall apart at this point although kept chipping away looking to take the lead again. Shepherds House then went down to nine men when a player had to go off with an ankle injury. Meanwhile chances were coming and going for DC but none would find the net. Paul Smithson missed a sitter with the goal at his mercy, Danny beat the keeper and his shot hit the post and Paul Allen beat several players and sent his shot into the side netting. Both teams ended up going in at the break at 1-1. The second half continued where the first left off. Danny Feasey switched positions with Paul Smithson replacing him up front but still no goals could be found. Shepherds House were playing the offside trap very well and were catching and frustrating DC continuously. On the hour mark, DC were rocked as the opposition broke away and took the lead with a delicate lob of the advancing keeper. Rory then replaced Paul Smithson and seemed to turn the game on its head. Shepherds House were back to full strength as two players were drafted in late although they could not stop Nick Smith grabbing the much needed equaliser in the 77th minute after good work down the left. This fresh lease of life boosted DC and within the last 10 minutes Danny Feasey scored a third with a deft chip over the keeper before Mark Jarman scored the fourth close to time finishing off some good play between Paul Allen and Danny. Shepherds House did not deserve to lose and DC did not deserve the win. The home team played badly need to sort themselves out before the final game next week. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Chris Taylor, Stuart Brown, Howard Cooke, Paul Allen, Paul Smithson, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Mickey Sheehan, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Jensen, Nick, Danny, Mark Subs: Rory for Paul S

Apr 14th 2002 v Earley HG 4-2 League Earley Home Guard gave DC a mauling this morning as the home team fell to an embarrassing 0-7 defeat. Despite having Andy and Steve back, neither could help DC stop an Earley HG side gaining the vital 3 points and goal they need as they chase honors in this division. Things did not start well for DC as they fell behind early on when a header back to the keeper fell short and allowed the attacker to steel in and beat Darren from close range. The second came not long after. DC failed to close the player down and he guided the ball into the corner of the net depsite a desperate dive from Darren. The third came around the half hour mark. A corner was not cleared properly and a shot came in from 20 odd yards out that beat everyone and snook in at the near post. The Steamers only managed to produce a couple of efforts in the first half, Danny shooting wide and Nick having his shot saved. The game did not get any better for the Steamers as Chris found himself short of pace against their left winger who promptly scored a 4th after racing 50 yards down the right. Not only was pace a problem for him but height showed its disadvantage too as Taylor was beaten at the back post for the 5th despite a desperate jump. Number 6 occurred when the keeper gave a hefty boot down field. The striker latched onto it beating the offside trap and despite Andy and Howard racing back, he passed the ball past Darren. The final goal took the piss. Another hefty boot, a bounce and again the striker was away. This time, with Andy and Howard in pursuit, he bounced the ball on his head TWICE and then popped the ball into the net again. The Steamers didn't really get out of their own half much in the second half and when they did, not a lot occurred. Oh Well....roll on another season... The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder, Chris Taylor, Andy Seery, Howard Cooke, Paul Allen, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Mickey Sheehan, Jensen Langford, Danny Feasey Scorers: Subs: Paul S for Mickey