Season 03-04 Reports

Sept '03

Sept 07th 2002 v Palmer FC 3-1 League DC kicked off the new season with a well fought 3-1 victory over newly promoted Palmer FC with three new faces in Simon Langthorne, Kevin Pitken and Richard Mason. The two sides met in a pre-season friendly last season with the Wargrave based side winning 5-0 and this game looked like the score line was going to be similar. Chris Taylor opened the scoring on 20 minutes striking home from close range after the Palmer defense failed to clear. Chris then doubled DC's lead lobbing the keeper after being played in with a good ball from Rory. DC were on top of the game and producing chance after chance. Richard Mason hit the post\bar from an acute angle, Kevin Pitken had a free header narrowly fly over the bar, Chris was denied his hattrick by the post whilst Rory also went close. With the score standing at 2-0 at half time, DC continued to push forward in the second half as Palmer started to get their game together and created a couple of chances of their own. Rory though drove a wider gap between DC and Palmer when a cross field ball evaded everyone in the box and found Rory at the back post unmarked. He made no mistake spanking the ball past the helpless keeper. Palmer got one back close to the end of the game but hte points had already been won The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, JJ, Richard Mason, Steve Bell, Richard Scaldwell, Chris Taylor, Rory O'Neill, Simon Langthorne Scorers: Chris (2), Rory Subs: None

Sept 14th 2002 v AVH Athletic 9-0 League The Steamers continued their bright start to the season with their second away win with an emphatic performance against AVH. DC stamped their authority in the early exchanges of the game and dictated proceedings thereafter. The new players seem to have bedded into the side with ease with an excellent performance on the left from Richard Mason, who teased AVH defenders with excellent runs and crosses into the box - and Kevin Pitkin's authoritive display in partnership with the dominating Wayne Makepeace. A commanding performance Richard Scaldwell in the middle of the park was rewarded with his first of two goals; a bullet header from close range. This was followed with goals from Richard Mason, and a first half hat-trick from Danny Feasey whose touch and coolness in front of goal was clinical. DCS went in at half time 5-0. The first 15 minutes of the second half saw DC content with battling for the ball before again taking control. Richard Mason was withdrawn after an hour being replaced by Jason Knight, with Duncan Glen moving up front and Nick Smith to the left. The second half goals came with a neat header from Duncan, a wonderful run and finish from Richard Scaldwell, and a determined run down the wing from Steve Danby, with a cut inside and finish to match. Danny chalked up his forth to round off what was an excellent performance from a side who we have yet to see the best of. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, JJ, Steve Bell, Richard Scaldwell, Richard Mason, Nick Smith, Danny Feasey Scorers: Subs: Jason for Richard Mason

Sept 21st 2002 v Reading Irish Res 1-2 League DC trudged off the pitch today knowing that they'd just lost a game they should have taken points from. Rory, deputizing as manager in the absence of Jensen, stuck with the starting line-up from the previous week and the team started well creating a couple of early openings. Midway through the first half though the home side opened the scoring when their goalscorer was left unmarked in the penalty area to stroke the ball past Darren. DC stuck to their guns though and went in search of a much deserved equaliser, applying a lot of pressure as the half drew to a close. Despite a couple of half chances from JJ and Richard Mason, DC could not find that equalising goal and walked off at half time a goal down. With the second half only minutes old, Richard Mason had pulled DC back into the game. Picking the ball up, just outside the penalty area, Richard proceeded to beat two defenders before slamming the ball into the far corner of the net. The Steamers continued to push forward and create chances but also found themselves on the back foot as Reading Irish also looked for the winning goal. That goal eventually came when Dunc decided defending wasn't for him and setting opposition goals up was. In an attempt to head the ball away, he accidentally played the Irish striker in as the DC defense froze. Duncans pinpoint header fell to the strikers foot who buried the ball past an advancing Darren and set DC to their first defeat of the season. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, JJ, Steve Bell, Richard Scaldwell, Richard Mason, Nick Smith, Danny Feasey Scorers: Richard Mason Subs: Simon for Nick, Howard for Dunc, Paul for Richard Mason

Sept 28th 2002 v Cavaliers 2-2 Berks and Bucks The first home game of the season saw a mediocre game which DC finally won on penalties against Cavaliers in the Berks and Bucks Cup. Despite applying the most pressure and having the majority of play in the first half, DC found themselves a goal down midway through the first half when an offside flag was ignored allowing Cavaliers to take the lead. DC maintained their composure and eventually equalised as Steve Bell followed up an initial shot that had been saved. Simon Langthorne caused the Cavaliers defense immense problems and should have had a hat-trick himself during the first half although seemed to have left leave his shooting boots at home. With an upbeat Steamers halftime teamtalk, DC came out for the second half with attacking ideas and promptly conceded a very soft goal. Paul Allen replaced Chris Taylor on the hour mark and DC continued to apply pressure, carving out chances which were not converted. Simon Langthorne eventually got DC back on level terms when he charged down a 50/50 ball with the keeper. The Cavaliers keeper swung and foot at the ball and completely missed it, enabling Simon to race past him and push the ball into the open net. Danny Feasey had a couple of efforts turn away before the final whistle went. Jason Knight and Duncan Glen replaced Nick Smith and Steve Bell during extra time although could not help DC force a winner. The match ended with a penalty shoot-out with Scaldie and Paul Allen smacking the ball well over the bar whilst Danny and Wayne found the net. Fortunately Cavaliers were unluckier. Darren made a fantastic save to deny the opening penalty from going in and produced another fine save only to have the penalty re-taken for leaving his line. That shot was converted. Their other penalties flew over the bar whilst the final one hit the post sending DC through to round two The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, JJ, Nick Smith, Steve Bell, Richard Scaldwell, Chris Taylor, Simon Langthorne, Danny Feasey Scorers: Steve B, Simon Langthorne (Danny and Wayne scored penalties) Subs: Paul A for Chris, Jason for Nick, Duncan for Steve B

Oct '03

Oct 05th 2003 v Stevie B's 0-5 League This was a bad defeat against a team who'll certainly be pushing for promotion again as DC conceded 4 goals in a second half where they were chasing for an equaliser which was never going to come. Both teams started well but it was Stevie B's that created the most chances at goal. Wayne was lucky to have stayed on the pitch in the early stages of the game as he appeared to hold back their striker whilst being the last man. Fortunately, the resulting free-kick flew over the bar. The DC formation was changed to 4-5-1 for this game but despite holding Stevie B's defensively, DC found it hard to support Danny when DC did get forward. The opposition eventually found the net 5 minutes from half time when an attempted clearance landed at the feet of the striker to slot past Darren. The second was all uphill for DC who failed to really test their goalie. Chasing the game, the Steamers attacked more leaving gaps for Stevie B's to fill. The opposition took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 4 goals without reply. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitken, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Danby, Nick King, Steve Bell, Richard Scaldwell, Mark Jarman, Paul Allen, Danny Feasey Scorers: Subs: Simon Langthorne for Mark Jarman, Aaron Smith for Paul Allen, Jason Knight for Kevin Pitken

Oct 26th 2003 v Silver Birch Wanderers 2-3 Berks and Bucks DC failed to progress in the Berks and Bucks cup after losing a two goal lead to the Bracknell outfit. Simon Langthorne and Paul Allen hit DC's goals but the side could not hold onto the lead and conceded three silly goals to exit the cup. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Mark Jarman, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, Simon Langthorne, Steve Bell, Nick Smith, Paul Allen, Duncan Glen, Danny Feasey Scorers: Simon, Paul Subs:

Nov '03

Nov 09th 2003 v Earley Retreat 4-0 Ted Cambridge Cup After a terrible October, DC got back to winning ways with a 4-0 win over Earley Retreat, who had beaten the Wargrave boys 3-0 only a couple of games before. DC took the game straight to Earley and created several chances before the home side had a man sent off for a deliberate handball on the goal line. Danny Feasey stepped up and converted the resulting penalty. DC took full advantage of the extra man and it wasn't long until Steve Danby cracked a well struck shot in the net to extend DC's lead. The second half continued where the first left off. Earley defended in numbers whilst the Steamers continued to push forward. Howard Cooke then got himself onto the score sheet with what looked to be a scrambled effort (I had a bad view of it) before Chris Taylor, returning from injury, replaced an injured Richard Macey. Steve Bell who had created a fair few goal scoring chances but failed to convert any of them then popped it to score probably the toughest effort he'd had all game. With time running down, Duncan replaced Danny up front and DC managed to keep a clean sheet. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, Simon Langthorne, Mark Jarman, Nick Smith, Richard Mason, Steve Bell, Danny Feasey Scorers: Danny Feasey, Steve Danby, Howard Cooke, Steve Bell Subs: Chris for Macey, Duncan for Danny

Nov 16th 2003 v Richfield Rovers Res 6-1 League Magnificent !!! One word to describe the commitment, determination and teamwork that DC showed this morning against a side second in the league. The home team started well and had DC on the back foot for the best part of 20 mins and scored with a crap header. The striker was left unmarked at the back to glance a header goalwards that should have been stopped. The Steamers continued to restrict Richfield sa much as possible although could have gone 2-0 behind when a chance effort thundered off the post before being cleared. As time ticked towards halftime, DC created a chance with Danny, unselfishly knocking the ball wide to Simon. The angle was acute but Simon made no mistake and ensured DC would go in at halftime even. The second half continued in the same vein as the first half finished. The back four were holding firm, stopping everything that was thrown at them. The midfielders worked tirelessly whilst the forwards created havoc for the Richfield defenders. The Steamers were now on top and creating chances. Paul Allen made it 2-1 when he side footed home a deep cross that Danny dummied for him (probably didn't mean it though :-)). Steve Bell then popped up to make it 3-1. The ball was not cleared and rolled out to Steve, who calmly placed it into the net. Richfield's heads had dropped and DC continued to chip away at them. The 4th goal was the best of the bunch, Howard played the ball out of defense and continued his run. He then latched onto the through ball and ran from the halfway line without much interference from the opposition before putting the ball low to the keepers right. During this second half Duncan was accused of being the owner of a loose Alsatian and was verbally abused by the Richfield players. Duncan, who has a death wish proceeded to wind the Whitley opposition up by failing to stop the ball after it went out of play and told them the reason wasn't playing was because he'd just come out of prison (:-)). Simon Langthorne, who'd spent the majority of the game working tirelessly up and down the right hand side was finally reward with his hattrick before the full time whistle. His 3rd coming after Danny's shot hit the crossbar and rolled along the line. With the Richfield side given up, Simon raced in alone to slot the ball into the net.Well Done Fellas - A really deserved victory - Especially you Howard - You're a Star The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, Simon Langthorne, Mark Jarman, Nick Smith, Paul Allen, Steve Bell, Danny Feasey Scorers: Simon (3), Steve B, Paul A, Howard Subs: None

Nov 30th 2003 v Emmbrook Sports 0-0 League Back to the old days for another 0-0 draw where both teams cancelled each other out. DC were playing with a bare eleven players but managed to hold off any advances from the high flying Embrook side. Wayne Makepeace came the closet to scoring for DC when he hit the crossbar with an up and under shot that the keeper had well covered. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitken, Steve Danby, Simon Langthorne, Wayne Makepeace, Nick Smith, Rory O'Neill, Steve Bell, Duncan Glen Scorers: None Subs: None

Dec '03

Dec 5th 2004 v Earley Retreat 7-0 League DC bounced back from defeat to hammer Earley Retreat 7-0 in a one sided game. It did not take the home side too long to get into their stride, playing some nice football and creating chances as early as the second minute. Mason putting the ball over from distance. It was DC's leading goalscorer Simon Langthorne who broke the deadlock though when Jensen found him unmarked at the back post to guide the ball home. Chris Taylor then found himself unmarked at a corner and turned and fired a low shot past the keeper from close range after a goalmouth scramble. Jens added a third shooting from an acute angle before Simon scored his second shortly before the break. His hattrick was complete soon after the restart as the keeper made a terrible error in clearing the ball. Simon fired into an empty net with the keeper left stranded. With the game already won, DC handed Owen Temple his debut replacing Kevin, whilst Chris and Simon made way for Danbers and John Harbage respectively. Jensen added a sixth goal to the tally after battling through the defense and scoring from another acute angle beforeNick delicately lobbed the onrushing keeper from just inside the area to make the final score 7-0 The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitkin, Richard Scaldwell, Chris Taylor, Richard Jordan, Richard Mason, Steve Bell, Nick Smith, Jensen Langford, Simon Langthorne Scorers: Simon (3), Jens (2), Chris, Nick Subs: Owen for Kevin, Steve D for Chris, John for Simon

Dec 21st 2003 Reading Iris Res 0-1 League The Steamers were back on home soil for the first time in 8 games although it wasn't to be a happy home coming. An defensive error in the first half allowed a cross to be converted and condemning DC to a second successive 0-1 defeat. Both teams matched each other in the first half although with the wind and fitness in the second half, DC proceeded to boss the game in search of an equaliser. Chances went begging including a direct freekick just outside the area. The starting lineup was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitkin, Steve Danby, Danny Feasey, Wayne Makepeace, Richard Scaldwell, Nick Smith, Duncan Glen, Steve Bell Scorers: Subs: JJ for Wayne

Jan '04

Jan 04th 2004 v Purple Turtle 5-2 League DC kicked off 2004 in impressive style by putting 5 past Purple Turtle at Palmer Park. Turtle started brightly and opened the scoring when DC failed to clear the area successfully and allowed a low hard shot to fly through a crowd and into the net. DC regrouped and started playing some fancy football ending with Richard Scaldwell hitting two fantastic long range efforts within minutes of each other to put DC into the lead. Macey hit a third close to haf time from an acute angle to send DC in at the break 3-1 up. DC continued to apply the pressure and eventually added a fourth to their tally. Steve Danby took a corner and when the ball came back out to him, he sold the defender a dummy and planted the ball past the Turtle keeper from a tight angle. Not bad for a player with head injury, groin strain and age hindering him :-). Turtle had a glimmer of hope in gaining something out of the game when Chris used all of his 5"5' of height and managed to head the ball 6 yards away from danger. The resulting cross ended up volleyed into the net from close range. The icing was put on the cake when Scaldie wrapped up his well deserved hattrick when he played a decent one-two with Macey in the area before he finished off the move. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Duncan Glen, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitkin, Chris Taylor, Richard Mason, Richard Scaldwell, Steve Bell, Steve Danby, Simon Langthorne, Danny Feasey Scorers: Scaldie (3), Macey, Steve D Subs: Wayne for Danny

Jan 11th 2003 v Earley Retreat 6-0 League A second hattrick in two weeks for DC as they continued their good start to the new year this time seeing off Earley Retreat. This time Simon Langthorne claimed his second hattrick of the season as DC made attack after attack in the terrible weather. The Steamers were without some familiar faces in recent weeks, Steve Danby and Danny were both nursing injuries whilst Kevin and Duncan were unavailable. So, Jason Knight made a rare appearance whilst Nick and JJ came back into the side after a week off. It was Steve Bell who opened the scoring for the Steamers after DC held off some good early pressure from the opposition. His tight angled lob found the roof of the far corner. The second half saw all the other goals and despite having the wind in their favour, DC played some lovely flowing football around the opposition. Simon scored the first of his three by anticipating a underhit pass and saw it deflect off him into the net within the first dew minutes of the second half. Nick made it 3-0, umarked at the far post before Simon added two more to complete his hattrick. Nick added a sixth late on as Retreat crumbled (They had done after 3). This scoreline could have been into double figures as the bar and post was hit in the region of 6-7 times mainly by Steve B. Wayne was replaced by Andy Holt who contributed very well considering his lack of games this season. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Jason Knight, Howard Cooke, Wayne Makepeace, Chris Taylor, Richard Mason, Mark Jarman, Richard Scaldwell, Nick Smith, Simon Langthorne, Steve Bell Scorers: Simon (3), Nick (2), Steve B Subs: Andy H for Wayne

Jan 25th 2004 v Cavaliers 5-3 League DC remain unbeaten in 2004 with a well fought display coming from behind three times to win. Steamers started slowly and conceded a sloppy goal early on before Scaldie equalised with a pinpoint and well struck header. DC conceded a 2nd just before halftime and went in 2-1 down. Steve Bell got the Steamers back on track when he scored his first of three before Cavaliers took a 3-2 lead through more sloppy defending. But with Steve on form hitting another two goals and Simon Langthorne weighing with another. DC held off a Cavaliers side who were unfortunate not to get anything out of the game. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitkin, Jason Knight, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Richard Scaldwell, Simon Langthorne, Steve Bell, Duncan Glen Scorers: Steve B (3), Scaldie, Simon Subs: Andy for Jason

Feb '04

Feb 01st 2004 v Thames Conservancy 2-1 League The Steamers continued their good run of form with an away win at Thames Conservancy on a very bad boggy pitch. It was the home side that started the brighter of the two teams and settled quicker. Although in a game of few chances on a heavy pitch neither team really looked like scoring. DC lost their two centre backs at halftime through injury. Kevin took a hefty knock just prior to the whistle whilst Howard was already nursing a sore back. Jason added to their misery midway through the second half with a niggling knee complaint. Macey, Danbers and DM replaced them in the second half. DC were eventually rewarded for their persistence when Steve Bell' cross found Nick, inches from the line. He turned on a sixpence and passed the ball into the net. The wind was blown out of Thames' sails and despite attempts to equalise, they conceded a second close to full time. The goal keepers clearance found it way to Scaldie who, despite under pressure, scored from 30 yards as the keeper slipped in an attempt to get back in goal. A much needed win although the performance needs to improve. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Kevin Pitkin, Jason Knight, Nick Smith, Mark Jarman, Richard Scaldwell, Simon Langthorne, Steve Bell, Duncan Glen Scorers: Nick, Scaldie Subs: Macey for Kevin, DM for Howard, Steve D for Jason

Feb 08th 2004 v Richfield Rovers Res 3-3 League A sickening last minute equaliser denied DC of three valuable points this morning as the Steamers were forced to play at Prospect Park as their home ground was waterlogged. The day didn't start well as three players turned up at the wrong park and the pitch we were due to play on had not been booked by the league. Eventually, on a very sloping pitch DC kicked off with the wind in their favour and took an early lead through Simon Langthorne. Richfield settled down and started knocking the ball around despite having the wind and the slope against them in the first half, the equalised. Things seemed to get for for the Steamers as Kevin took a knock to the knee during the half and had to be replaced by Howard, Jason also went down clutching his knee but had to play on due to no more substitutes. The second half looked like a challenge for DC although it they took the lead with Macey striking from just outside the area. It stayed like that until the last 4 minutes when the fireworks certainly went off. Richfield levelled it on 88 minutes. From the kick-off Steve B put Simon clear to make the score 3-2 but as the seconds counted down, Richfield got a throw level with the 18 yard box. It was launched into the area and Chris, using all 5"4' of his height could only flick the ball to the back post to the waiting Rovers player. Not marked tightly enough, he managed to bring the ball down and strike the ball home with more or less the last kick of the game. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Steve Danby, Kevin Pitkin, Jason Knight, Nick Smith, Richard Mason, Steve Bell, Mark Jarman, Andy Holt, Simon Langthorne, Scorers: Simon (2), Macey Subs: Howard for Kevin

Feb 15th 2004 v Palmer FC 4-1 League Back to winning ways and a third hat-trick for Simon Langthorne. DC needed to make up for the previous week and did so by starting the game in terrific style. Straight from the kick off, Simon was put through on goal where he made no mistake. 24 seconds according to the referees watch. DC failed to capitalize on the good start and allowed Palmer to create the odd chance, not something you want to be doing with one of the divisions leading goalscorers against you. Palmer eventually equalised after a good spell and DC found themselves having to buck their ideas up. Chances were created and the Steamers had two efforts cleared off the line before Simon made it 2-1 midway through the half. The second half was a different story, DC seemed to control it from the start as Palmer's fitness started to get the better of them. Scaldie increased DC's lead to 3-1 with a brilliant glancing header from a corner. Darren, at the other end was also being kept busy and made two great one-on-one saves to deny the Palmer forward line. Simon was booked for a bad tackle whilst Rory was getting an earful from the traveling supporters and players alike. Simon hit the post before completing his hatrick whilst Scaldie put one wide when it was easier to score. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder; Chris Taylor, Howard Cooke, Mark Jarman, Steve Danby, Nick Smith, Richard Mason, Richard Scaldwell, Simon Langthorne, Steve Bell, Duncan Glen Scorers: Simon (3), Scaldie Subs: Jason for Steve D

Feb 29th 2004 v Purple Turtle 1-2 League DC's good run came to an abrupt halt this morning being beaten by a team with more grit and determination. This was a game that DC had to win to maintain their push for elevation. DC conceded a silly early goal before Simon scored DC's consolation equaliser before half time. Despite an upbeat halftime chat DC just couldn't break down the Purple Turtle and eventually gave away another daft goal. The starting line-up was as follows: Darren Holder, Jason Knight, Howard Cooke, Duncan Glen, Wayne Makepeace, Steve Dandy, Chris Taylor, Nick Smith, Richard Scaldwell, Steve Bell, Simon Langthorne Scorers: Simon Subs:

Mar '04

Mar 07th 2004 v Emmbrook 0-1 League Despite a very strong performance in a close game, a solitary goal early on in the first half was enough for Emmbrook to take maximum points.

Mar 21st 2004 v Stevie B's 0-8 League Playing with the wind in their favour in the first half, DC managed to hold Stevie B's to a one goal deficit. The second half was a completely different story as the home team rattled in another seven goals with Chris Taylor clearing two more efforts off the line to keep the score below double figures. The game was spoilt by the arrogance of the home side

Mar 28th 2004 v Thames Conservancy 1-2 League A third consecutive defeat saw DC's promotion hopes finally dashed. Thames took the lead against the run of play before Simon Langthorne equalised. Steamers pushed men forward in the second half although then gave away a second silly goal to leave them with nothing to play for in their final game. Scorers: Simon Langthorne

Apr 4th 2004 v Cavaliers 5-0 League The Steamers finished the season on a high with a convincing 5-0 win over Cavaliers. At 08:30 that morning, DC only had 9 confirmed players and had to count on the injured Wayne Makepeace and Rory O'Neill to play. The game was close until Chris Taylor got his third of the season, latching onto a left wing cross to slot home from close range moments after missing a sitter. Rory O'Neill then scored with a very good header before the teams went in for half time. Simon Langthorne then finished the job with three second half goals Scorers: Chris, Rory, Simon (3)